Monday, May 25, 2015

Memory Monday: Lessons


LESSONS FROM MY MOTHER AND FATHER

It’s between Mother’s Day and Father’s Day, and I've been thinking a lot about my parents, about the things they taught me.
My parents knew each other only six weeks before they married, but that marriage lasted just over 37 years.  Daddy and Mother had five children who grew into adulthood.
From my daddy, I learned to keep reaching for my goals, to jump over puddles of despair or climb over walls of impossibility.  He passed on his love of reading and his desire to improve himself.  Most importantly, my daddy showed me what a father should be, and from that I learned to love my Heavenly Father.
Other lessons were learned from my mother. She taught me the fierce love of a parent, the loving heart that always keeps her children in her prayers even when they reject her, the joy of singing to God every day (even though she sang off-key). Mother moved to the same town I lived in after Daddy died. She lived here for several years when something wonderful happened.  Not only did we share the bond of mother and child, we became friends.
My parents weren't perfect—Daddy had a temper and Mother had trouble keeping confidences.  But together they taught me so much about marriage and being a parent. Together, they could face whatever life threw at them

Thank you so much, Daddy and Mother, for loving me, and for teaching me all you have.  I miss you. I look forward to seeing you in Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment