Monday, June 22, 2015

Memory Monday: Grocery Shopping

My mother

GROCERY-SHOPPING AND HOW IT’S CHANGED
            After I finish my microwave breakfast burrito and instant cappuccino, I need to plan my grocery list.  It’s really hard these days to get all the food my family needs.  First, I have to get the newspaper and look at the food ads so I can see what the specials are. Then,it is such a pain to go from store to store (to get the best deals), and  bring home bags and bags of groceries.  It takes a lot of time and muscle to lug in all those frozen skinless, boneless chicken breasts, Rocky Road ice cream, and deli meats and cheeses.  It is such a tiresome ordeal to do all that grocery shopping, but someone has to do it.
            Sometimes, I envy my mother. She had a much simpler way of handling her grocery shopping.  Because my father worked as a butcher in a grocery store, there was never any question of where we brought groceries; we only shopped at the store he worked.  Whenever Mother needed something, she simply gave Daddy a very short list of items she needed, and he brought them home in the evening.  Of course her list was short because she milked up to seven cows twice a day (so she didn’t need to buy milk, cream, butter, or ice cream--homemade peach was her favorite). She raised, killed, and dressed chickens (so she didn’t need to buy eggs or a plump hen for her homemade chicken and dumplings). She raised pigs and calves (so she didn’t have to buy pork chops, steaks, or roasts), and she had an acre-sized garden in the summer (so she didn’t have to buy fresh vegetables, and since she canned all summer, she didn’t have to buy canned veggies either). 
           Sometimes, I long for the simpler times when I all I would have to do is send a short grocery list with my husband in the morning, and in the evening, he would bring home the few I items I needed.
            Well, I just heard the paper hit the front door, so I’d better get started.

3 comments:

  1. I want to go back in time for your mom's meals. : ) I hate to shop, but I might hate cooking more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a love hate relationship with grocery shopping. I LOVE that God provides for the needs of my family, I HATE going to the store to get it...but I think I'll keep going. (SMILE)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, but look at all the hard work she had to do to provide most of the food. Not to mention cooking it!

    ReplyDelete