Monday, August 17, 2015

Memory Monday: Family Picture Gallery


OUR FAMILY PICTURE GALLERY

By the time we had our first child, we had been given a lot of family items (we had been married over nine years by then). On one wall of our baby’s room, we created a pictorial family tree.  In the center was a framed print of the birth announcement and the picture of our daughter, taken at the hospital after she was born (we changed the picture in that frame several times through the months as we had new ones made).  On one side of these was my baby picture, and next to that was my parents’ picture, and branching out from that were pictures of both set of my grandparents.  On the other side of our baby’s picture were my husband’s baby picture and his parents and grandparents.  When our daughter was older, we would go over and over the pictures with her, telling her who the people were. 

            Today, those pictures, along with others, like my father’s large oval baby picture, his father’s baby picture (in its original frame), my husband’s grandparents and great-grandparents wedding pictures, line our hall.  There is even a three-generation picture of my father-in-law, my husband, and our children, and a four-generation picture of my side of the family.  Whenever the kids have friends over, they like to show off our “family gallery”.


            I like being able to put a face with the name of those who have come before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment