Monday, February 15, 2016

Memory Monday: Carving Meat

My great-grandfather
CARVING MEAT YEARS AGO, BUT NOT TODAY
Recently, I got an electric knife. It makes slicing roast so-o-o easy and all the slices are nice and thin. It used to be when I carved the roast, it would have some slices thicker than others and some that just came away in chunks.

Also recently I came across a section in a cookbook from 1865, titled MRS. GOODFELLOW’S COOKERY, AS IT SHOULD BE. (This came out about the time about the time my great-grandfather was released from the army after the Civil War.) In it there is a section on carving and the need for every man to be knowledgeable about how to do it. A couple of descriptions really caught my eye and I wanted to share them:

A TONGUE. Cut near ly through the middle, at the line 1. and take thin slices front each side. The fat is situated underneath, at the root of the tongue.

Half of Calf’s Head.
CALF'S Head. There is much more meat to be obtained from a calf's head by carving it one way than another. Carve from A to B, cutting quite down to the bone. At the fleshy part of the neck end you will find the throat sweetbread which you can help a slice of with the other part; you will remove the eye with the point of the knife and divide it in half, helping those to it who profess a preference for it, there are some tasty, gelatinous pieces around it which are palatable. Remove the jaw bone, and then you will meet with some fine flavoured lean; the palate, which is under the head, is by some thought a dainty and should be proffered when carving.
OK, that is two dishes I will never make, so my husband and son don’t have to learn how to carve them. (Yes, they can both thank me when they read this post and see how good I am being to them.)
What are the most unusual (or yucky) dishes you have had to eat or deal with?

No comments:

Post a Comment