Monday, October 17, 2016

Memory Monday: The Tale of the Veil

My Wedding
THE TALE OF THE VEIL

My husband and I were married in the 1970s. My mother made my dress and veil. Five years later, we bought a house and took all the things that had been stored at both sets of parents’ houses. Sometime later, I unpacked the dress and veil. Unfortunately the crown of the veil had been crushed beyond repair. So when our daughter got older and wanted to place dress-up, I let her use a lacy top and the crushed veil when she wanted to play bride. We played it over and over so many times. As she got older, we put away those make-believe clothes and they stayed packed away for many years.
After our children moved out, my husband got his study back and I got the third bedroom for my library. The one thing I made sure to do was make a corner into a grandchild’s play area, including make-believe clothes. The time has come to take that old, worn veil out again. My granddaughter has worn it a couple of times. But she is just two and I see her wearing it many more times as she plays at Granddaddy and Grandmommy’s house.
I look forward to telling her how her great-grandmother made the veil for Grandmommy (and show her our wedding pictures in the albums), then how her mommy played with it. Just think—four generations have had their hands on that bit of fabric and netting.
I like tales that link the generations in our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment