Monday, October 10, 2016

Memory Monday: Things My Grandmother Might Have Done

My Daddy as a Toddler

THINGS MY GRANDMOTHER MIGHT HAVE DONE

Maybe because I never knew my maternal grandmother (she died when my dad was nine years old), I like looking at books that were written after she married my grandfather. I like to see what she might have read or been told about housekeeping and cooking. One of the books I have used is titled Putman’s Household Hints and it was written in 1916—the year before my dad was born.
I would like to share a few of the things from that book. I really like the last one and might try it the next time my gravy is pale.
Soup poured through a cloth will have all the fat removed.
Place salt in the oven under the baking tins and the contents will not scorch on the bottom.
Never use bread and meat knives around the heat as it will temper the edges.
In cases of emergency, when it is necessary to cut fresh bread and the knife refuses to work proper ly, heat the knife and the bread will cut easily. To do this often, however, is death to the knife.
A teaspoonful of cornstarch added to a cupful of salt and mixed thoroughly will keep salt from sticking in damp weather.
When serving butter in cubes, if a small piece of the paper in which the butter is wrapped is placed over the blade of the knife with which the butter is being cut the edge will be smooth and even.
If a quantity of browned flour is kept on hand for making gravy, a great deal of time will be saved.
When gravy does not brown pour into it a table spoonful of coffee. It will brown immediately and contain no taste of coffee. This is quicker than browning flour when in a hurry.

How many of these hints have you heard of before? Which ones do you think you will try?

No comments:

Post a Comment