Monday, November 23, 2015

Memory Monday: The Last Words


LAST WORDS
The other day I was scanning some family pictures and came across one that had been among my mother’s things when she passed away. It was a picture of my daughter combing my father’s hair. I know the day, month, and year it was taken—Saturday, July 28. 1984. My parents had come to celebrate our daughter’s third birthday.
My parents left the next day and went home. I hugged my father and said, “I love you, Daddy.” He hugged me back and said he loved me, too. I watched them drive away. Three days later on Tuesday, we got a call. Daddy had been killed in an accident.
Several years later, Mother moved to the town where I live. Through the almost 20 years she was here, we traveled from mother and daughter to friends, then finally to me looking after her (even though she still lived in her own house). The night before she passed away, she called me before she went to bed, and said how much she loved me, then thanked me for looking after her. She ended with telling me she loved me, and I told her I loved her. The next morning we found unconscious, and she never regain consciousness.

If I pass before they do, I hope that the last words my husband and children hear from me are words of love and thankfulness, words that will help them in their grief and bring comfort to their hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment