Monday, November 2, 2015

Memory Monday: Our Interest in Family History



OUR INTEREST IN FAMILY HISTORY

Although my interest in genealogy didn’t begin until a few years ago when I found my grandfather’s birth certificate (discovering the names of his parents) among my mother’s papers after her death, my love of “family things” has always been a part of me. My grandmother gave me a little ring of hers when I was just a small child, and I still have it in my jewelry box. I have my father’s wooden chess set, a pocket watch that was my grandfather’s, a few of the little pitchers that were my grandmother-in-law’s from WWII, and so many more things.
One of the things that show our love for “family things” is shown in the picture above. This was taken the day we brought our first child home from the hospital. She wore a dress my mother had saved from I was a baby. Her socks came from her daddy, and her shoes were from her granddaddy. The pink blanket was made by my mother. The car seat was lined with a white blanket that my mother-in-law had won at a store opening, twenty years before. When she won it, she said she was going to save it for her grandchild. My grandmother passed away more than a year before our daughter (her first grandchild) was born. After her funeral, I took the blanket so I could fulfill that plan for her. Even though my mother-in-law never got to see her grandchild, a special part of her will always live with my daughter. They both carry the same middle name.
Oh, and another part of my daughter’s coming home outfit ties the present to the past. The little cap our daughter is wearing in the picture was tatted by my husband’s grandmother for her newborn son (my father-in-law) in 1920. Both of my children wore it home from the hospital, and it is in the safety deposit box waiting for future generations.


No comments:

Post a Comment