Monday, December 26, 2016

Memory Monday: A New Year's Poem


My Grandmother


A NEW YEAR’S POEM
I have used the picture of my grandmother before. The more I think about her, the more I wish that I had known her. She married in 1910, but didn’t have her first child until 1917 (my father). How she loved her son. When my dad talked about her, you could hear the love in his voice for her, even though she died when he was only nine years old. From what I know about her, she had a strong faith (as did her parents).
Recently, I came across a poem that was written before she was born. The poem is from a book titled Verses for Christmas and the New Year. And it was written in 1885, and since she was born in the early 1890s, her mother might have even read it to her.

NEW YEAR'S WISHES FOR THE CHILDREN.
Give yourself to Jesus, darling,
   While the Year is new;
Place your hand in His, and let Him
   Lead you safely through.

Then how blest the Year will be,
   Spent in Jesu's company!
I send my love to Someone,
   With wishes kind and true;

I pray to God for Someone,
   I know He hears me, too.
Now don't you guess, my darling,
   That Someone must be you?


I can imagine my grandmother holding my daddy in her lap, snuggling close to her longed-for child and reciting this to him. And that warms my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment